Did you know that eating 6 dates a day throughout the third trimester of pregnancy helps to soften your cervix, helps you dilate quicker and have a shorter labour?! (So researchers say anyway) I’m not sure if it’s true, but I’m giving it a go, and il report back after bubs is born.
Now I love dates, but I’m at the point where I can’t even stand the sight of them after eating them daily for approximately the last 10 weeks, plus they give me terrible heartburn now, so I’m not completely enthused to down them at the moment.
I’m so close to labour and I’m not going to give up now, so I whipped up this easy no bake slice to help get my daily dose of dates without cringing at the thought of eating them! Plus this slice is drizzled in chocolate, and who can say no to chocolate right?
You don’t have to be pregnant to enjoy this slice, they would make a lovely afternoon school snack or morning tea treat!
You can add in basically anything you like, I had some sunflower seeds, walnuts and shredded coconut in my pantry that I also added into the mix. You could also add in cereal or oats, and other dried fruits. (Hmmm actually I might try cereal in mine next time)
- 1 tin of condensed milk
- 125 grams of butter
- 1 packet of arrowroot biscuits
- 2 table spoons of golden syrup
- 1 cup of chopped pitted dates
- 1 cup of roasted almonds
- 3 table spoons of chia seeds
- 250 grams of dark chocolate melts
- Crush the biscuits into a fine crumb. You can use a food processor or place the biscuits into a zip lock bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- Roughly chop the dates and almonds and add to the mixing bowl with the crushed biscuits.
- Add in the chia seeds and any other dry ingredients you fancy.
- Heat the butter, golden syrup and condensed milk in a saucepan over a low heat until butter has melted. Then pour into the dry mix bowl and mix together with a wooden spoon.
- Line a lamington or brownie tray with grease proof paper and pour mixture into tray. You may like to use your hands to press the mixture firmly into the tray.
- Place tray into the refrigerator to set for 1 hour.
- Melt chocolate and drizzle over the top of the set slice, and place back in the fridge until chocolate has hardened.
- Cut up and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do! I can’t get enough!